Maltby Genealogy

American Lineage

VIII.3167. Arthur Lauren Maltby, b. June 17, 1886 (Albert P.7, Lauren B.6, Jesse 5, Benj.4, Dan.3, Dan.2, Wm.1). Mar. June 30, 1916, Louise C. Talmadge. Add. (1956) 11 North 2nd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona.

He is a lawyer, at Elkhart, Kansas. He was born in Kansas, studied Law at Yale Law School, 1907-1910. He wrote: "I learned at Yale that the Maltbys had much to do with the founding of Yale College, one of the five preachers who donated the libraries to the establishment of that old school being a Maltby." (Note. This is an error. It is quite probable that William Maltby may have contributed books, but there was no Maltby, at this date, who was a clergyman).

Mr. Maltby continued:--I volunteered in World War and served as lieutenant, field artillery, twenty-six months, nineteen of that in France."

We were married in June 1916 (forgot to give name of wife) but our first child, Arthur Lauren, Jr., was born July 27, 1918--and was almost a year old before I saw him. His expected arrival in June of that year. I was in the Field Artillery School at Camp Taylor, Kentucky."

He was discharged December 25, 1918, having been commissioned a second lieutenant of field artillery after the Armistice.

He now holds a commission as captain in the Field Artillery Offi- cers Reserve Corps.

He spent his early years on his father's ranch in Reno County, attended rural schools, and in 1907 graduated from Washburn Academy at Topeka. He played on the football team at Washburn. From 1907 to 1910, he was a student in the Yale University Law School, at New Haven, Conn., graduating LL.B., in the class of 1910. He is a member of Pi Alpha Delta legal fraternity. He was admitted to the bar in Connecti- cut in June, 1910, and for three years following had valuable experience in legal work and law practice at Washington, D.C. On returning to Kansas he located at Topeka, and for six months was special assistant attorney general. He resigned to engage in practice at Hutchinson, but nearly three years was spent in military duty. He returned to Hutchin- son after the World War, but in 1920, established his permanent home at Elkhart in Morton County, where he has built up a large clientele in civil and criminal law, his office being in the Doerr Building.

He was a member of the Kansas National Guard and was on duty on the Mexican border from June 18, 1916, to November of that year. On May 25, 1917, he entered the First Officer's Training School at Fort Riley, but on August 5, 1917, accepted muster into the National Army with the National Guard Troops, returning to the Second Kansas Regiment for that purpose. On Aug. 23, 1917, he was honorably discharged, and on the same date was accepted as a candidate for a commission in the Officers' Training Camp at Fort Sheridan, Illinois. He received a commission as second lieutenant of field artillery November 27, 1917, and went overseas as a casual, landing at LaHavre, France, January 6, 1918. After about one month in the Field Artillery School at Saumur, France, he was put in the Tractor Artillery School at Camp St. Maur, outside the Gate of Paris for six weeks, then went back to the Field Artillery School at Saumur, and on July 5, 1918, was put in the First Corps Headquarters. He served without assignment from July 8 until September 8, 1918, and then became chief leasing officer of the Dis- trict of Paris. On November 8, 1918, he was put in headquarters of the advanced section at Neuf Chateau and served as Chief billeting officer until June 29, 1919. He was then ordered home and received his honor- able discharge at Camp Funston, July 24, 1919.