Maltby Genealogy

American Lineage

"In the February following we went south, via Chicago and Cairo, Ill., and went into camp at Columbus, Ky. where we stayed until June 1, when we went down the Mississippi river to Vicksburg, then up the Yazoo river to Yazoo City, then back to Haynes Bluff, in the rear of Vicksburg, where we were in the siege until the surrender on July 4, 1863. On July 7 I got a sick furlough home for 30 days, and rejoined my company and regiment at Helena, Ark., Sept. 1, At this time the 25th had only 57 men fit for duty and 800 men on the company rolls. In February we left Helena and went again to Vicksburg and from that place on the 'Meridian March' with Sherman. We were back in Vicks- burg at the end of 30 days and then went by steamboat up the Missis- sippi to Cairo, then up the Ohio and the Tennessee rivers to Mussels Sholes, then by rail to Decatur, Ala. From there we marched to Chatanooga, Tenn., and on the first of May, 1864, started with Gen- eral Sherman on the Atlanta campaign.

At this time the 25th was in the 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 16th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee. This division was in the flanking corps and was all the time marching or fighting. Our first battle was at Resaca, May 14, 1864. The company and regiment took part in all the fighting, including the battle of Atlanta, and the chase after General Hood's Confederates back toward Chattanooga. At Atlanta Co. D. lost just one-half of the company in killed, wounded and prisoners. Of the four captured, three were wounded and died in the Anderson- ville prison, while the fourth was exchanged.

Before beginning the March to the Sea we were reorganized and our brigade, the 43rd and 63rd Ohio, the 17th New York and the 35th New Jersey was the 2nd Brigade, 7th Division, 17th Army corps, Gen- eral Mower Division Commander.

The March to the Sea began in Nov. 1864, and before Christmas we had taken the city of Savannah, Georgia. In Jan. 1865 we went by transport to Beaufort, S.C., and captured Fort Pokatolligo. On Feb. 1, we began the march for Richmond, Va. Our last battle was at Ben- tonville, N.C. Was at Raleigh, N.C., when General Johnson and army surrendered to Sherman. From Raleigh we marched through Richmond and Petersburg to Washington; took part in the Grand Review and was mus- tered out the 7th day of June, 1865, by reason of the end of the war.

I was appointed corporal Aug. 27, 1862, at LaCrosse, and ser- geant, Oct. 1, 1863, by M. Montgomery, colonel commanding the regi- ment. I was in every march, skirmish and battle in which the regi- ment took part and was in command of the company in its last battle at Bentonville, N.C. At the time we were mustered out at Washington, D.C., I was offered a brevet captaincy and refused it."

                      "Was Grand Army Man."
(Abridged.) A.N.Maltby d. at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J.N. Welsby at 3:10 o'clock last Wednesday afternoon. His death was sud- den, although he had been in declining health for several months. Wednesday morning he was taken with hemorrhage of the stomach and from then until his death he was unconscious, except for a brief in- terval.

Appleton Noah Maltby was an Indianian by birth, having been born at Orange, that state. When he was 17 years of age the family moved to Tomah, this state.....

While on a short furlough Mr. Maltby was married to Miss Clemen- tina Baker of Tomah, Dec. 27, 1862. At the close of the war he