Letter to D.M.V. from Floyd Lee Maltby (Cornell, 1923)
201 Hudson St. Ithaca, N. Y.
"My grandfather told me that three Maltby brothers came to American in 1659. He always spoke of them as being young men, so I assume that one of them was the William Maltby (born 1645) that you speak of.
The first of the Maltbys that I have heard about is my grand- father's grandfather, Jonathan Maltby of Baldwinsville, N.Y. Which I believe is the one that you report as marrying a Culver.
His children were Chester, born 1788, Jacob, Isac and William my great grandfather, born July 4th , 1800.
My family knew nothing of Isaac the brother of William. William marrried Lucina Clark and lived at Baldwinsville, N.Y. Date of Marriage--Jan. 29, 1823. Moved to Oakland,Co., Mich. in 1836. William died May 20, 1875, his wife died Feb. 4, 1883.
Their children were: (1) Hiram Maltby born Oct. 30, 1823, mar- ried Harriet Adams in 1849, they had two sons, one Charles is living in Chicago, and Edwin Maltby of Dearborn, Mich., and Ellen (Maltby) Clark, Ortonville, Mich. and Jenny (Maltby) Simpson, of Ortonville, Mich.
(2) Julia Maltby, b. Aug. 13, 1826, mar. Alexander Place, their children were: George, Lucy, Sara, Emila, Frank now living at Orton- ville, Mich., and Adea.
(3) Samuel Hugh Maltby, born Dec. 17, 1828. Married Elizabeth Young, Sept. 8, 1852. Both children by first wife died while young. Second wife Elmira Blodgett married Feb. 19, 1857; Elmira Blodgett born Feb. 5, 1838. Their children: Huldah Janett, born Dec. 17, 1859, married John Young; had children, Claude, Howard, Clyde Young of Orchard Lake, Mich. and Maude. Huldah Janett now dead.
Second child of Samuel Hugh Maltby, Wilber George Maltby, born Dec. 17, 1864; died Feb. 1, 1901, married Nina E. Caldwell, June 2, 1899. Have one child--Margret Winifred of Victoria, Ontario.
Third child Horace Liman Maltby, born Aug. 3, 1868; married Hattie B. Box of Dryden, Mich. April 10, 1890. Reside at 201 Hudson Street. Ithaca, N.Y. Have one child. Floyd Lee Maltby, born Oct. 3, 1895.
(4) Lovina Maltby born Oct. 10, 1831. Died Feb. 6, 1914. Mar- ried Charles W. Smith Jan. 7, 1852. Children Ada, born Apr. 15, 1855; William, b. Aug. 5, 1858; Ida, b. Nov. 2, 1861; Bert, b. Aug. 10, 1872; May, b. Dec. 4, 1868.
(5) Horace Haynes Maltby of Davisburg, Mich., born June 4, 1834. Married Lucy Ogden, April 10, 1859. Have children: Mary Annetta, b. May 15, 1860, and Sarah Emila Maltby b. June 4, 1878, who died Dec. 1920.
(6) Isaac Clark Maltby, b. Dec. 27, 1839. Married Rose Ann Black. He went to Kansas when a young man and nothing further was heard of him.
As to the Isaac Maltby who went to Port Huron, Mich., I can tell nothing except that I have heard my Grandfather speak of him.
There are quite a lot of Maltbys in Michigan. Many of them live around Hillsdale, Mich. One was a lumberman and the place of the camp is named Maltby, Mich. There is a Maltby family in Cortland, N.Y.; they could be reached, without street address. . . .
Yours Very Truly F. L. Maltby (Cornell '23) 201 Hudson Street, Ithaca, N.Y."