Maltby Genealogy

American Lineage

"was about 6 years old, about 1800. (Factory across the street and water brought from ----).

Then he bought the Street's farm and was clothier there. He ran in debt for Street farm, but made money and came out "high and dry," then he bought the Bunnel farm and kept the old one running till Uncle Samuel was 21 (about 1813?). Then he moved back to the Maltby place which he had rented meanwhile, and turned it into a tavern (his Grandfather built the house). Stages from Hartford to New Haven stopped there six and eight stages a day there were. He had a musical voice. All the children, but the twins were born in the Maltby house. They were born at the Street farm." (N.B. From this item it is plain that she is now talking of John (5), Sam (4), Sam (3) Sam (2), Wm.(1)). "While at the Street farm he bought the Bunnel farm and paid $2000 for it, for my Father to settle on". (Evidently John (5). "Father wished to study and did not take Bun- nell Farm and Grandfather gave the Street farm to Samuel and Jno., and Samuel pledged himself for $1000 to Jno. for his portion of Street farm, which was received and needed for education.

Uncle Samuel took the Street Farm, valued at $2500 and grand- father moved back to the old home.

Uncle Samuel" (5) "suffered from sores in his legs, from the effects of Colomel given him when he was 5 or 6 years old. He never paid up debts, etc. for the farm. Grandfather" (Samuel (4)) "stepped in and gave Aunt Ruth full ---- and took his son into the family and remained there." (Note. It is quite apparent these notes are from two of the "old folks," but someone of another generation furnished some of the notes where "Grandfather" was beyond question, John Maltby (5)).

"Grandfather set up a carding machine to help Samuel as he was not a sound man and could not work out of doors so much.

Grandfather remained a widower one year and then married Jan. 2, 1832, Mrs. Sarah Kirtland Douglas, widow of William Douglas of North- ford (was a son of Colonel Douglas, conspicuous in Revolution). She had Douglas children but no Maltby.

This second grandmother died the same year with Grandfather. Grandmother died of fever a little while after Grandfather. She was sick only a few days. Grandfather had trouble in his throat which prevented food reaching his stomach. He starved. Paralysis in part of his throat so food lodged there in a sort of packet, about 10 years he suffered so. He had a fine constitution, but had ?rysip- alas. The Spring after his first wife died, he hit his elbow, and the flesh left his arm all but in two places. He went that spring to Sutton a C-port, with Aunt Foote. He gave up the tavern before his first wife died."

"His wife, Elizabeth Ives--my grandmother--was wed and won by John Maltby--across the street. The wedding was quite private, right after training day, in the Maltby house." (Note. Possibly "after training day" may be where he obtained the rank of Lieut).

"In calico dress--so as to keep it secret, when she had a nice wedding dress (orange and lilac silk) all ready." (N.B. Much the same sort of description as the dress worn at her wedding by Submit Taintor, to Rev. Jonathan (4) Maltby--blue and yellow silk).

"Miss Eunice Tyler was keeping house for John Maltby and didn't know of the wedding 'till Mr. Noyes, the minister, came. Olive Ives was there and she and Miss Ives were the witnesses.